Friday, May 25, 2007

My baby bird


Well, we knew our bird had babies...I could hear them when it was feeding time and she kicked one of the babies out of the nest. But I haven't ever been able to get a good shot of them....til today, that is. Not only was I photographer today, but I was also a bird rescuer. The baby is trying to stretch his winngs and get strong enough to fly, but he fell out of the tree. Luckily Brianna was playing outside and she saw the baby, picked it up and brought him to me. Scott came home a short time later and we ended up pulling the truck under the tree and putting the ladder in the bed of the truck to get him back into the nest. The first try was no good...the parents were both freaking out and took a swoop at us, and with all that happening, the baby jumped back outta the nest. I was able to calm him down again, and then it was easier to get him to stay in the nest. While I had the truck there, I thought I'd take advantage of the awesome angle I was at and got a couple of great shots of the baby, so here he is! :) Hopefully the parents don't abandon him after all that effort we put into saving him!! ISO 100, ss 1/100, f/3.5

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

very sweet! I love your series can't wait for the next!

Cindy Shaver said...

cute, my babies are all gone now. FYI, normally once you touch the baby the mother will no longer care for it. Next time one falls, use a spoon to put it back into the nest so you scent doesn't get on it.

blaaa said...

Love it Lindy, but you already knew that :P

Lindy said...

Well, this bird was way to big for a spoon, and that is actually a myth. I did a little research last night, b/c I was worried about it, and they actually won't abandon their babies b/c of human interation. And, sure enough, today both parents were watching over him all day and my oldest daughter saw them feed the baby as well.