Sunday, May 6, 2007

Meter Test



Okay, I've purchased a light meter and a digital calibration target (from Photovision). What a difference. I thought I share a sample with you. The first image (with an unwilling participant) was taking using just the in-camera meter. The second, I took an image of the calibration target with the settings the camera indicated for the first image, checked the histogram. It was, of course, underexposed. So, I adjusted the settings until the histogram showed that I wasn't losing detail in the shadows or the highlights in this lighting, then took the second image.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

wow, very nice great comparison! Thanks for sharing!

Short Stories by Ruth said...

We need to talk. I'm having major issues!!! with exposure. But who doesn't. My camera runs underexposed too. So what this is tell you is the you have to meter your camera and then move up one stop?

Short Stories by Ruth said...

when you say you adjusted the settings in the histogram? Do you have to do this for each pic? I'm a little confused.

blaaa said...

I always have to go one stop over on my camera to get good exposure, just something i figured out with it :)