Thursday, August 9, 2007

TIPS

Okay Ladies, You might not want this info, but I'll share for those who do. These are notes that I took as I read through the ILP forum on dragging the shutter.

Dragging the Shutter (basically, using a lower shutter speed in a low light situation in order to balance the ambient background light to your flash output)

You Want to ignore camera meter and let the flash do the work:

high ISO (400-600)
slow SS 1/40 or less
AP begin around 4.0
WB: Auto
Bounce the flash if possible, adjust flash output as needed (this can be done on the flash or
with the camera's flash EV - or as you learn more, by opening up the Aperture

FACTS:
1. Aperture controls the light output from the flash
Shutter speed controls the amount of ambient light

2. If you want more flash power you'd use a smaller aperature. BUT smaller aperture means a stronger flash so you'll have a longer recharge time for the flash to fire again (so try adjusting the flash output on the flash or in camera first)

Another setting for nighttime interior - posted by MLK

ISO 400
F 4.0
SS 1/30
bounce flash if possible

note: the dark room will make the pupils of a person really large, so take a couple of consecutive shots so that the flash reduces them

Hope this helps, Cindy

2 comments:

Maureen said...

thank-you SO much for giving us the readers digest version of this. Maybe I can do a quickie attempt now that I 'think' I understand it better.

THANKS Cindy :)

Short Stories by Ruth said...

I promise to do one tonight. I'll make Danny sit for me. Funny thing, I only have ONE white wall in my whole house and it is the kids bathroom... heheh guess we'll head in there.