Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Would you mind criticing my site?

I know you all are probably very busy, but I am in the need of a good critic of my main site. I am getting ready to overhaul the whole thing and would love to hear which images are keepers and which are not strong enough. I applied for ILP FA and was turned down. These were their comments "appeared that some of her images were good & solid, while others had the high volume look to them...", "...some babies looked uncomfortable... not enough strong images within the portfolio...", "...needs to weed the galleries down to her best...","...has some nice images, but she has some that seem "off"...Especially the baby gallery. A lot of the babies look uncomfortable or awkward..." . I am still a little bitter over the rejection but I guess that is how I will grow, just wish I didn't know what some of the current FA member's websites looked like, it's seems hit and miss with the approval on ILP.
If you have a free minute or two please take a look www.crumrinephotography.com, I really appreciate it!
I'll try to post a couple images in the next few days.

6 comments:

Short Stories by Ruth said...

Courtney, if you want to call me we'll go through each of your images one by one. Email me we'll set up a time. shotbyruth@comcast.net

You'll get there it is all subjective anyway!!! :)

Arya said...

I went thru the images in your galleries and first I must say - WOW! I think you have a beautiful portfolio.

Believe me, Ruth is right, IT IS all subjective and don't take it personally. I think you should take Ruth up on her offer - she is a huge help for sure.

((HUGS)) I know it can be hard when you get criticism - but remember it's not personal but geared to help you.

I went thru your galleries and loved what I saw - some of the images (just a handful) could be weeded out or re-cropped but overall it's a great portfolio.

Courtney said...

Thanks for your help, I think I will send you an email, Ruth!
Arya, thanks for your sweet comments!
I understand that to grow I need the criticism but gosh did it sting.

Arya said...

It does sting - believe me do I know it. I don't think it was until I remembered it's not personal that it didn't sting - as much...

Maureen said...

Well, I may be the rookie/old lady of this group but I know good photos when I see them, and your portfolio is full of them. As Arya said...WOW...they are actually intimidating. I think both these talented gals are right on the money, it is very subjective and not at all indicative of your talent that you got turned down. Do a bit of tweaking and I think you'll be there. Fantastic job...really!

Cindy Shaver said...

Courtney, The site looks great. It uploads quickly (which is always nice) and is easy to navigate. Your images are beautiful. I agree, take Ruth up on her offer and see where that leads you.